The ISSPh was founded in 1960 as the Soviet Union’s first institute devoted to the study of solid state physics. It initially had a staff of only 60 people, but has since grown to include over 1500 researchers. The institute is divided into five departments: condensed matter physics, surface physics and thin films, physics of semiconductors and devices, physics of metals and alloys, and physics of magnetism and superconductivity.
The ISSPh has played a major role in the development of Russian physics, and has been responsible for many important breakthroughs in the field of solid state physics. The institute has produced over 2000 scientific papers and has trained many of Russia’s leading physicists.
The ISSPh is a world-renowned center for the study of solids, surfaces, and interfaces. The institute’s researchers have made significant contributions to our understanding of these complex systems, and the institute has been a major force in the development of Russian physics.